Friday, November 23, 2012

The New Dykes Medal Winner is NOT in My Garden


I received it in 2011 as a bonus from Schreiner's.  It did not bloom this summer but seems to be established, so next year the 2012 I thought American Dyke's Medal Winner, 'Florentine Silk', would be blooming at Diamond Rise!  I was so excited!  But, alas...

'Florentine Silk' (Keppel, 2005)


The iris I have is 'Italian Velvet'.  Can you see how my false excitement was triggered?


'Italian Velevet' (Keppel, 2005)


OK, so they don't look alike, but it is an Italian Fabric. And they were both registered by Keith Keppel in 2005. Darn.  And double darn because David and I missed meeting him because we were too polite to crash into his back yard this spring. 

The Dykes Medal is the best of the best.  Each year irises are judged best in their class.  For 2012 the Wister Medal for best Tall Bearded Iris went to "Gypsy Lord.'  Another Keppel introduction.  The man is a witch.... or a warlock.

'Gypsy Lord' (Keppel '09) 

I Don't have that either.  The shame.  Kyle asked if we had to move before the neighbors find out.

Oh well.  New acquisitions to be made!


No comments:

Post a Comment